Les Mis Trailer

Sunday 8 August 2010

3 peaks challenge

Ann, Harry and I were talking about this challenge that Becci and her friends are training for for next year. Wow, it is some challenge and certainly not for the faint-hearted! We were unsure as to exactly what it entailed so I sat down and looked it up ( now I have the net! xx) and this is it: in a continuous 24 hour period which includes travelling and walking the peaks, you are expected to walk up BEN NEVIS ( Scotland, 1344 metres);  SCARFELL PIKE ( England 978m) and SNOWDON ( Wales, 1085m). ( ...and I know you are going to tease me about the English one being the shortest)! You need to get up and down pretty fast so that you can drive from one peak to the other in time, so you are looking at 4 to 5 hours of walking and then being driven to the next peak etc until you are completely exhausted!!! Becci and Tim were supposed to be doing a 5 hour walk this weekend as part of her schedule but that was all on the flat! Her godfather, Uncle Peter, in his wisdom, advised her to just walk up and down the stairs in very tall buildings for 6 months to get more of an idea of what is is about. I think he might be right, darling! I am impressed and very proud of her for wanting to do something so extreme as this - and if she does it, I will make sure I am there to see it, I promise, Becci.
Well, Genghis has had his first snuffle out front this afternoon. He wandered along the gardens to the right of us and sniffed a few large shrubs and then came back again. He wanted to go out just now too, but our neighbour was in the garden so that put him off.
I have spent a happy couple of hours 'browsing' magazines. Nothing like English homes and gardens magazines to wet my appetite! I found them all in one of the boxes so couldn't resist having a little look.....and then I started thinking about Christmas!!! Some of them were from last year when I was in Stafford, that's why, not that I am thinking about present lists, what to eat....course not!!! Would I be doing that? And weighing up the chances of a visit to a reclamation yard in the near future............I do know of one here in Holland believe it or not! Trying to be creative in what I can re-use instead of thinking about what I need to buy etc. Sleek, flat walls versus tatty old-looking ones that I feel more comfortable with really....chandeliers......mmm, tempting.
I confess to starting to yawn and feel tired now that it is almost 5.30pm so I think it is another early night for me as I am back to working all week. At least it is only 4.5 days this week so I get Friday afternoon off. Once this month is over think of all that lovely spare time  I will have earned!! Something to look forward to next weekend is my day out in Amersfoort with Hillie, which I hope is still happening. We have been arranging this for so long now, that I have got everything crossed that nothing crops up this time to prevent us meeting up there. Now, that ought to have got me up to date with blogging for a while, shame I cannot get the photos uploaded but my printer still needs connecting this week but I reckon we can manage that ourselves............
sue xx

3 comments:

Double Dutch said...

Hallo Suzanne, My name is Jodie and I too have lived 11(ish) years in Holland. I stumbled across your blog ages ago and have been a fairly regular reader ever since. I cannot 'follow' as i can find no follow button.........

I almost bought a house in Westwoud last year too...........maybe its the house you now live in lol.

Anyhow there is a sort of reclamation yard in Zuid Schermer called Arie Oud. I live in West Graftdijk which is just around the corner from there.

My blog is called Double Dutch Stories and is mainly me showing my art works and there I go by the name of Jodilee.

Hope that reclamation yard has what you want. Jodie

Double Dutch said...

Sorry I meant lutjebroek although i did almost buy a house in westwoud too.........going dotty in my old age.

Suzanne said...

Hi Jodilee,
thanks for the information!! I didn't know about this yard...will have to suss it out soon! I will try to find your blog as well, nice to hear from you.
Suzanne x