Les Mis Trailer

Thursday 4 November 2010

Remember, remember...

Remember, remember, the 5th of November
The Gunpowder Treason and plot ;
I know of no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes,
'Twas his intent.
To blow up the King and the Parliament.
Three score barrels of powder below.
Poor old England to overthrow.
By God's providence he was catch'd,
With a dark lantern and burning match
Holloa boys, Holloa boys, let the bells ring
Holloa boys, Holloa boys, God save the King!
Hip hip Hoorah !
Hip hip Hoorah !
A penny loaf to feed ol'Pope,
A farthing cheese to choke him.
A pint of beer to rinse it down,
A faggot of sticks to burn him.
Burn him in a tub of tar,'
Burn him like a blazing star.
Burn his body from his head,
Then we'll say: ol'Pope is dead.

This is a traditional English poem for tomorrows celebration of Guy Fawkes Night. It is a fun way of remembering a very serious plot to blow up the Houses of Parliament, but these days it is the signal to get out the fireworks, light huge bonfires, eat toffee apples and Parkin, and generally have a good time!! But remember, too, to be careful and wary of those fireworks..........

Well, today got there in the end!! I started off rather shakily but then got used to the fact that if I just stayed in one place and didn't overdo things, it would be fine. Minor cliches along the way, but I did achieve what I set out to do, so that is what counts. 
Tim's first day at the bakery went very well, so well in fact that he is allowed to start at 04.30am tomorrow morning!!!! Woe is me, I have to work as well, so it is going to be an even earlier start than I am used to! He was making cakes which he loves doing, and apparently orders came in today for 20 celebration cakes for the weekend, so I am guessing the baker needs his help!
The weather forecast for tomorrow is not good, so I did my cycling today instead, which was good for my hips, just up to the sewing shop again.....this time for new tags for the zips on my boots which broke recently. It seems having this store just around the corner so to speak, is proving a godsend!!! 
But I have to go. About to make a meatloaf from my diet book, so looking forward to something a little different to eat tonight.
Sue xx

No comments: