Les Mis Trailer

Sunday 28 November 2010

Christmas

Just wrapping presents and thinking about what I need to do and buy when in the mighty world of Tesco's!! I found the menu I cooked in 2008 whilst up in the attic; my word, I was ambitious!!!!
This is how it read then:
Salmon Pate on Toast
Prawns in Rose-Marie Sauce
Prosecco
........
Lemon & Herb Roast Turkey
& Stuffing
Crispy Roast Potatoes
Chardonnay Carrots
Festive Red Cabbage
Sprouts a la Tim
Roast Parsnips
Chipolata Sausages in Bacon Rolls
Home-made Bread Sauce
Cranberry Relish
Madeira Gravy
New Zealand White Wine
Fleurie
............
White Chocolate & Red Berry Trifle
Port
Coffee & Liqueurs
..............................................

Hm, this will need some living up to this year!! Some dishes are a tradition in our family so they always appear, but I think some shuffling around is required this year as I like to try different things. At the moment we are considering doing away with the starters and replacing them with early drinky-poos and nibbly bits!!! ( we know what we mean!!!) Starting the day off with some Harvey's is a given, but I have found a really good sounding cocktail that I want to try out, with some small nibbles on the side whilst I finish the cooking off in the kitchen. Having friends here on Boxing Day is making me very happy, and I do so enjoy preparing this dinner for everyone. Tim likes his puddings the best but the jury is still out on what I will make for him this year. There will definitely need to be a slimming alternative for me!!!!
I have now reached just over the 7kilo mark and I feel great. I achieved my target for England yesterday so that is a good feeling, and I intend to stay on the straight and narrow when I am away. It can take a month to lose 7 kilos but a weekend to put them all back on again!!! Life is so unfair!!!!!!
One recipe for a delicious Mulled Wine is this one, which is known as: 
                                                              
                                                              THE OXFORD BISHOP

  • 1 whole orange
  • 16 whole cloves
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon ground mace
  • ½ teaspoon allspice
  • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
  • 75cl (26½fl oz) bottle of port
  • the juice of ½ orange
  • whole nutmeg
You will need a small baking tray.
METHOD
Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6. Begin by cutting the orange in half and studding each half with 8 cloves, then place the halves on a baking tray in the centre of the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, pour 275ml (9¾fl oz) of water into a small saucepan, add the sugar, cinnamon, mace, allspice and ginger, then over a high heat bring the mixture to simmering point, giving it a good stir. Let it boil briskly until it has reduced by at least half, then take off the heat and leave on one side. 
When you're ready to serve, empty the port into a saucepan and add the baked orange (plus the cloves). Pour in the spice mixture, followed by the orange juice, then heat gently without actually bringing to the boil. 
Serve it in a warmed bowl with the orange halves floating in it and a little grated nutmeg on top.


I make it each year and it goes in a flash! All this talk about food is sending me into my planning and list making mode so time to go downstairs and make that final selection!!!!
Sue xx




No comments: