Les Mis Trailer

Thursday 23 February 2012

Stretching the pantry stock to its limits!!

Always good to double check what is in the pantry before taking to the shops!! Then its time to list the stuff you want to bake and combine as many things with the ingredients you already have and be frugally sensible about what you actually need to buy. So I have done that, almost, just one or two more things to buy from the market this morning, then tomorrow and Saturday it will be baking, baking, baking!!
So what is on my menu?

Cheese & Chive Mini Scones
Cheese & Bacon Flan Squares
Cheese Biscuits
Salmon & Cream Cheese Pinwheels
Cheese Flinders
Sausage Rolls
Nibbly Bits!

Strawberry Cream Mini Mont Blancs
Mini Chocolate Choux Buns
Chocolate Caramel Shortbread
Sharp Lemon Cheesecake
Hummingbird Cake
Scones with homemade Lemon Curd
Orange & Cinnamon Biscuits
Fudge

Whether it all comes to fruition is another matter entirely . . . . so handy living with a patisserie chef! But also so critical of my methods of baking these days. My tried and tested methods learnt at school or over the years are NOT the same as how he does things in the bakery. I hand rolled the sausage roll fillings yesterday; no, I should have piped it out in a neat line down the pastry. I used egg to seal; ought to have used water. I rolled the filling in a little flour to prevent it sticking; no, that is going to mean that it doesn't stick to the pastry! And so on.......................but he did still eat one or two of them!!! Well, we can both learn from one another, right? And sharing the tasks between us has got to be a real time saver. That is my belief this morning so I feel relaxed and happy to think about stringing up the bunting over the table!!!
Won't be doing any of this if I don't now get up and off to the market on time!
Sue xx

No comments: