Les Mis Trailer

Wednesday 21 December 2011

Reading Matter (s)


I love reading.
I love books.
I think I might like an e-reader........but not at the cost of buying real books!!
Is it sacrilege to even consider wanting one?..................just so that when I go away I don't have to lug at least 5 or 6 books with me and take up valuable suitcase space? Would it feel the same in my hands as a beloved book does?

Here is a list of some of the books that are my favourites, though definitely not in an order of preference! Just the way I wandered up and down the bookshelves jotting down the titles:-

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, C.S. Lewis.
The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Tolkein.
Little Women & whole series, L.M Alcott.
All Austen novels!
Far from the Madding Crowd & all Thomas Hardy novels.
The Happiness Project, Gretchen Rubin.
Life is a Verb, P. Digh.
The Guernsey Literacy & Potato Peel Pie Society, M.A. Shaffer & A. Barrows.
The Shadowy Horses, Susanna Kearsley.
The Family from One End Street, Eve Garnett.
Precious Bane, Mary Webb.
Gone with the Wind, M. Mitchell.
The Mill on the Floss, G. Eliot.
Silas Marner, G. Eliot.
Children of the New Forest.
A Wedding in December, A. Shreve.
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake, A. Bender.
One Day, D. Nicholls.
The Elegance of the Hedgehog, M. Barbery.
Penguin Poems for Life.
No! I don't want to join a bookclub, V. Ironside.
Elsewhere, G. Zevin.

I could go on much longer!! How do you choose a new book? Me, I like titles and covers. Then I read the last few pages and decide whether I like the ending or not. If all these things are compelling, then I buy it. Simple. No good ending = no book. I am (still) writing my own book, and the ending is already in my mind. I wrote my essay for my course and I knew the last sentence almost before I began. I guess I like to work things out backwards. Sometimes knowing the ending helps me get through the storyline; in life as well as in fiction!! It is a habit that  some would warn against as it takes away the element of surprise and enjoyment, however I beg to disagree. I like to savour something for as long as possible! Same as with Christmas presents. My children and I tend to prefer to know what is under that tree for around 99% of the time. I suppose it has to do with not being able to hide disappointment and not wanting to hurt someone else's feelings.......................keeping emotions under wraps and so on. I do like to surprise others though, which is a contrary statement I know, but that is more to do with enjoying being aware of things that other people like through the year, but you know won't get for themselves. One always hopes that the books or presents one gives away will be appreciated for the thought that went into buying them and the love that goes with giving them.
It's only 4 more days.........................
Sue xx

No comments: