Les Mis Trailer

Monday 5 July 2010

Life on the sloot

It was certainly an intriguing day yesterday! We have a water coot nest right next to our terrace on the water but it seems that it is a highly desirable property for several other families! When I went outside in the morning to see how they were doing, I was astonished to see a Tortoise plonked right in the middle of the nest!!! I could hardly believe my eyes so I called my neighbour to come and look and decide whether we ought to phone the animal rescue service or not. We did, but they told us not to worry, there were hundreds of tortoises swimming around the waters of Noord-Holland!!! I feel he is our very own Nessie anyway!!! But that was not the end of it. Later on in the afternoon, Gertrude, my non-quacking duck swam by for her bread, accompanied by her one little tiny baby, and promptly waddled up onto the same nest with baby to have a good cleaning session!!!! Meanwhile, family Coot were swimming around nearby watching all this going on, collecting more and more reeds to rebuilt the nest once these invaders were gone........and by the time I went in, the babies were once more settled under mother's wings for the night!!! Here are some pictures I took during the day.                                                     

No comments: