Les Mis Trailer

Tuesday 15 April 2008

A few thoughts this morning

You always know it is going to happen but there is never a moment when you feel prepared to hear sad news about someone special in your life. Gilly mailed me this morning to tell me that the guy who was my boyfriend when I was 21, has got prostate cancer with secondaries and not really doing too well. He is my age, 49, and it is so, so sad for him and his family. He has 3 lovely children, wife, business, everything to look forward to, and this has happened to him. It is a real reality check, a 'live everyday to the full' moment, and one which has made me feel very, very lucky and blessed with what I have in my life right now. There is no time to be mean or jealous or selfish or concerned about what others think about you. There is no room for the 'what if's' and the ' I'll do it later' or "I wish that I had' more of this or that; be thankful for the small things, the little things that all add up to your own special place in this world: family and friends. I also received this pearl of wisdom from the same friend, about an interview with Maya Angelou by Oprah. When asked how she felt about growing older, Maya answered: "It is exciting. I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person from the way he/she handles these 3 things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled christmas lights. I've learned that regardles of the relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they are gone. I've learned that making a 'living' is not the same thing as 'making a life'. I've learned that sometimes life gives you a second chance. I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catchers mitt on both hands,; you need to be able to throw some things back! I've learned that whenever I make a decision with an open heart, I usually make the right decision.I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one. I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people never forget how you made them feel."

No comments: